Consistent Success In Delivering
Experienced in project design, implementation and
completion. Known for an ability to communicate complex
technical concepts in lay terms.
- Unix (GNU/Linux)
- Trouble Shooting
- Coding and Scripting
- System Architecture
- High Availability
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Independent Consultant (2002
- Designed and implemented a Citrix farm running on virtual hardware
- System utilizes the "Undo-able disk" feature for a nightly
- System utilizes a single virtual disk as a "golden image" that is
staged automatically to all virtual server instances.
- System offers both Intranet Desktops (for thin clients) and
Internet Desktops (for secure remote access).
- Custom coded an HTML5 smart-phone soft-token for two-factor authentication:
- Works on any HTML5 capable device (iPhone, Android, etc.).
- Impliments the ANSI X9.26 algorithm (same as "Defender" style tokens).
- Designed and implemented a disk-less thin client environment:
- Thin clients boot from the network (PXE).
- The network boot image auto-detects hardware (no vendor
- Client management is centralized and uses a web based interface
("set and forget").
- Designed and implemented a network printer provisioning system:
- All printers use DHCP and are synchronized to DNS.
- All printers may be assigned a DNS CNAME using a web based
- All printers are automatically assigned a CUPS queue on the print
- Print queues are accessible via NetBIOS, IPP and LPR/LPD.
- Designed and implemented a passive proximity badge based authentication
- System incorporates HID's Omnikey USB Prox device to read the
access card already in use by personnel for building security, etc..
- System leverages PXE thin clients and Citrix virtual desktops to provide
"smooth roaming" with the "tap" of a badge. The "desktop in the cloud"
moves with the user who owns it; printer associations automatically readjust
to the new location.
- Badge association is automatic, established at initial login and remains
active for a configurable grace period (no special enrollment process).
- Application access within the virtual desktop session is Single Sign-On (SSO)
facilitated using either the Citrix or Imprivata Single Sign-On agent.
- Designed and implemented an integrated network management platform:
- Zero maintenance: all system configuration handled through
- Created custom components using SNMP capable Perl scripts to
- Network switch port documentation (admin/auto speed/duplex
- Network switch port utilization charting (MRTG)
- Network switch port search-able DB (locate by MAC, IP, DNS
- System customized to seamlessly integrate the following
- Nagios - Alerts on all network devices.
- MRTG - Graph network device statistics.
- NeDi - Handles network auto-discovery.
- Snort - Monitor at Internet egress for alert patterns.
- NTop - Monitor at Internet egress for "top talkers".
- Designed and implemented high-availability Linux platforms with
heartbeat failover for network services, including: DNS, DHCP, TFTP,
CUPS, WWW, SMTP, NFS.
- Configure and maintain LAN-2-LAN IPSec VPN tunnels using a cisco PIX
Hill Physicians Medical Group - Independent Consultant (2001 -
- Custom coded MS Windows GINA for two-factor authentication using RSA
- Designed and implemented a zero client footprint, high-performance
and encrypted remote access solution using above to access existing
Alta Bates Medical Center - Independent Consultant (1990 -
- Lead technician for installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and
maintaining a 2000 node, 40 server, multiprotocol, multi-campus fault
tolerant network environment.
- Designed, implemented and maintained a client workstation standard
capable of central management and automated updates.
- Planned and implemented Internet/Intranet firewalls including:
- Transparent application layer proxies.
- Email and Usenet content filtering.
- A dual DNS configuration using the DMZ.
- End-to-end troubleshooting routers, switches, servers, network and
application performance (including packet decoding and protocol
Pro Trading Co. - Floor Broker (1987 - 1990)
- Employed as an Executing Broker of the Pacific Coast Stock Options
Exchange in San Francisco.
Training and Certificates
- ICRC: Introduction to Cisco Router Configuration
- ACRC: Advanced Cisco Router Configuration
- IMCR: Installation and Maintenance of Cisco Routers
- CID: Cisco Internetworking Design
- CIT: Cisco Internetwork Troubleshooting
- CATM: Cisco ATM Solutions
- SNAM: Cisco SNA Configuration for Multiprotocol
- CNE: Certified Novell Engineer (ID# 6467445)
- MCSE: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (ID# 438749)
- 1986: Claremont McKenna College, B.A. Physics and Literature with
- At the moment, I do not participate on any "Social Networking" sites,
but someone else with my name does have a Facebook account. Please
know that this person is not me...